Chris and I managed to get rid of our girls for one whole night over spring break!! Yea!! It was heaven (not that I don't love to spend every waking moment with my kids). We went and hiked, ate at some of the yummiest places Zion has to offer, and walked through every gallery and rock shop. We stayed here http://www.desertpearl.com/. I worked here back in the day when it was just being built. Only then I was cleaning the rooms not messing them up! Between Chris and I, we have worked at four different hotels in this area. The Desert Pearl is the best place to stay. I love this place. If I ever get to design my own home I think I will model it after this inn. Boy, I should get some sort of payment for my revue, I think I will contact the owner...
This is Chris and the rock I made him carry up the hill for me. Yes, I like to collect rocks. This one was cool because it had veins running all through it of I-don't-know-what. I like to collect them but don't ask me to tell you what kind they are. I think it is illegal to take things from a national parks so don't tell anyone. I don't think they will miss this one, but I guess if everyone who visited decided to take a rock from the park it might be noticable? Na, that is why there are so many rock shops in town...
This one is off the beaten path. We went to the upper portion of the park where there are less people. We were actually looking for some pictographs that we heard were up there. They aren't marked and they are off of one of the pullouts. So we kept stopping and hiking up these little dry creek beds and up the rocks. It was kind of fun just exploring at our own will. This was taken while we were climbing up some slick rock. When it floods the water rushes out and it makes potholes like this all over the place. Some of them are quite deep and full of pretty nasty water. It is awesome to get up high and look down the rock and see all the different layers of rock that the water has carved out.
If you have never been to Zion than shame on you. There is no place like it...
3 comments:
I am so happy for you guys you got to spend some time alone.
Yes, shame on me, I have never been to Zion's. In fact no one in my family has. thanks for the tips, I will plan a trip for this summer.
What a wonderful trip! I wish we were going to Zion's, and I'd love to take a trip with just my husband too! BTW, we LOVE Zions...
I'm supposed to be packing for our own spring break trip (camping at Congaree N.P. in South Carolina), but how can I when I just discovered a new blog!? We miss the western parks though. Wayne's all-time favorite hike is Angel's Landing at Zion's. I stayed in the valley with the toddlers that year, maybe someday we'll go back!
Post a Comment